Sellers, avoid these five mistakes when putting your home on the market.
Right now, ours is a seller’s market, which favors homeowners considerably. That said, it doesn’t mean that sellers can do no wrong or put their transactions at risk. Today we’ll share the five most common mistakes home sellers make and why you should avoid them:
1. Picking the wrong agent. Real estate agents are a dime a dozen; you need one with plenty of experience. Last year, our team sold over 600 homes, while the average agent only sells about eight.
2. Overpricing your home. Most sellers tend to love their homes more than their potential buyers do. It’s our job to make sure that your home is priced appropriately for the market so that you’ll have the best outcome. If your overpriced home sits on the market in today’s climate, you’ll have lost out on the most important marketing time you have. Remember that today’s consumers are savvy and know what homes are worth.
3. Only considering the highest offers. Many sellers in our market are receiving multiple offers for their properties. As such, many of them gravitate toward the offers with the highest price, but that’s not always the best direction to go. There are many other factors in an offer to consider, like deadlines, dates, due diligence periods, etc. Make sure your agent combs through all the terms of the offer and helps you pick the very best one per your situation.
4. Not getting your home ready for the market. If you want the best price for your home, you need to prepare it by replacing bad carpet, adding new paint, etc. Even if you adjusted the price to account for those repairs not being done, buyers will balk at the sight of it, and they may end up trying to negotiate you into paying for those repairs anyway. Decluttering, adding new carpet where necessary, and touching up your paint are all projects that will get you the best return on your investment.
5. Getting too emotional. Being overly emotional can be deadly for a transaction. Our job is to serve as a sort of buffer and make sure that the decisions you make are in your best interest, so be sure to keep your cool.
If you have any questions about selling your home quickly and for the most money possible, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Dar Walden Team. We’d love to be your real estate resource.